Vienna Litron cup and saucer
Beautiful and rare cup and saucer in Vienna porcelain decorated with thick gold decorations on light green and burgundy red ground. Cartouche of animals in nature. Freezes of geometrical forms. Great condition. Blue striped shield mark of the imperial manufactory of Vienna.
Size: H 6cm – diameter saucer 14 cm
Vienna, dated for 1802 and 1804 impressed in the white porcelain.
Lit: In 1718, Claudius Innocentius du Paquier took an immense risk and brought back from Meissen to Vienna the secret of how to make porcelain. In recognition of his achievements, Emperor Karl VI granted him the special privilege of being Vienna’s first and only porcelain manufacturer. In 1744, the Manufactory was taken under Imperial ownership by Empress Maria Theresia. Since then, the blue-striped shield from the coat of arms of the Dukes of Austria underneath the glaze was used to confirm authenticity. The production followed the latest Rocaille trend. The Manufactory enjoyed a golden age between 1784 and 1805 under the management of Conrad Sörgel von Sorgenthal. This “artistic period” of Classicism celebrated the return to straight lines and artistic styles from the Antiquity. During the Biedermeier era, Viennese porcelain became a status symbol for the aspiring middle classes.
The national and international competition forced the famous company to close down in 1864. Its extensive collection of designs was donated to the Museum of Art and Industry, (now the MAK).
In stockContact us